I fixed the issue very simply by adding a hidden parameter that I passed from each report to the next within the navigation. Functionally, it did nothing, the value was the current Date & Time. However, if the value of a parameter is changed from the last time a report is called, the report is forced to refresh the data. This solved my problem with the EmployeeList report showing cached data.
The manager was happy to see I had taken myself out of the loop for this simple but recurring task and I had opened the window to solving more complex administrative challenges without the need of building new front end interface.
Next week I’ll describe some of those more challenging tasks and how I was able to get around the limitations of SSRS to accomplish them.